Wednesday 7 October 2009

DAVID ATTENBOROUGH

Few people can be more alert to the progress and perils of climate change than David Attenborough.

Well, this is what he said after visiting the site of a windfarm application in Sussex (Times Online, 26 February 2008):

"Having visited the proposed site, I noticed that it is close to a place where not long ago, a windmill once stood. I suspect that were that windmill still in existence, many of us would regard it as a welcome feature in the essentially domesticated Sussex landscape and would speak passionately in favour of its protection. That, surely, is because most of us have a care and affection for the past. I certainly have.

"But I also have a care and affection for the future. A wind turbine, with its graceful lines, collecting energy from the environment without causing any material damage, is a marvellous demonstration of the way we can minimise our pollution of the atmosphere, if we wish to do so. It would help protect not only the countryside we have known for centuries but also the wider world beyond."

Can you feel that?

That's a breath of fresh air, a few measured words of common sense.

VVASP once claimed that Lenchwick Windfarm would 'kill the Vale countryside'. But David Attenborough recognises that such windfarms are a way to 'protect not only the countryside ... but also the wider world beyond.'

Whose view do you reckon is the more impartial, the more reliable? David Attenborough, who has spent a lifetime studying the natural world, or VVASP, who haven't?

5 comments:

  1. windturbines said...

    Yet again, David Attenborough doesn't live in the middle of a wind farm, nor is he ever likely too....very easy to say When It's Not In My Back Yard!

    Dear Aeolus,

    Please do not delete this comment, for if you do, I have taken screen grabs and I will post it to every publication and relevant blog that I can find.

    I am shocked by your 'seemingly' anti Nimby campaign.

    I haven't read every article that you have posted as after the first couple I started to switch off, I think due to the fact, that they all sound the same. Someone with a mission to slate anybody who says anything remotely against wind turbines. Leaves me wondering what exactly is your gain?

    Your comments are nothing but insulting, rude and in some cases clearly untrue, which leads me to think this is purely a blog of propaganda, fueled (pardon the pun) by person(s)/company(ies) who stand to gain from these ventures.

    Alternatively of course, you could just be someone who has an enormously large chip on both shoulders and has very little else to do in their lives all day. I suspect though that you don't have that much time as the 'The Great March' blog posted 24th September 09, must have been based on information fed to you and that you weren't actually at the event, a couple of your comments give it away slightly!

    I would dearly love to know what contributions you have made personally to wind energy, which wind farm you live in the middle of and how close the nearest industrial, 40 storey wind turbine is, in proximity to your house.

    Have the courage of your convictions and release your true identity instead of parading behind 'Aeolus' which is obviously giving you a superiority complex, thinking you're some kind of Greek God.

    For now I will remain anonymous, using the old adage 'takes one to know one' and when you reveal I will do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Is there an echo in the room? Three comments and all you can do is cut & paste? Aeolus is willing to accept a wind turbine in the neighborhood...are you?

    The lady doth protest too much methinks... although methinks you are a man. Keep on reading the column ..you love it.. you know you do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why wouldn't I cut and paste....seems the sensible option to me.

    Lady! Protest! I merely was looking at the flip side and asked some poignant questions which Aeolus decides not to answer.Why are you writing on his behalf, let him post a blog and answer my questions himself!

    Interestingly though, you say Aeolus is willing to accept 'a' turbine in his neighborhood, meaning one?

    As I suspected it confirms my thoughts.....he doesn't live anywhere near a turbine! Nor does anybody else who is pro and anti-NIMBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I speak for myself. I felt I had to post because reading your comment was a laugh the first time and gets funnier each time you paste the same comment. So why not have a laugh at your expense and let you know your are funnier than you think.

    Keep on reading this blog anonymous...you love it...you know you do :-)

    Keep on keeping on... Aeolus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect 'valeofwind' and 'Aeolus' are one and the same!

    No one was bothering to pay any attention or comment so another pseudo was created....after all....you can't possibly pass comment on your own blog...can you!

    The nine followers, just observers' as far as I can see, are probably all councillors, politicians or employees of renewable energy companies

    ReplyDelete